Why Do We Need to Define Success?
Our perception of success will determine how we achieve our goals. Our definition of success is therefore the very fundamental element that defines our actions and motives. We all aspire for success, whether we admit it or not. Who else wants to be a failure, or live a miserable life? Not you of course.
The Definition of Success
There are several definitions of success and we enumerate them below:
- Meriam-Webster Dictionary: degree or measure of succeeding; favorable or desired outcome; also, the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence.
- Dictionary.com: the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one’s goals; the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
- Cambridge Dictionary: the achieving of the results wanted or hoped for; something that achieves positive results.
- Collins Dictionary: success is the achievement of something that you have been trying to do; the achievement of a high position in a particular field, for example in business or politics.
- Oxford Dictionary: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose; a person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains fame, wealth, etc.
All the definition points out to the achievement of a goal and the achievement of wealth and having a high position in society. But the definitions did not mention about happiness, or the that of fulfillment. Our personal definition of success should be more than simply the accomplishment of aims or the accumulation of wealth, it should be geared towards personal happiness and fulfillment in life.
There are many people who run into depression after attaining wealth or fame. There are also people who achieved their goal and then realize in the end that it doesn’t make them truly happy. Why? Because they believe that success is all about wealth, fame or position in society. It’s not. It’s all about being truly happy in end.
How Should We Define Our Success
Success is about achieving your goals and achieving joy and fulfillment along the way.
It is therefore essential to define our perception of success on the three basic principles: achievement of goals, and attaining happiness and fulfillment. It is a balancing act.
If are not happy after after achieving a goal, then the problem is with the set goal. Did you expend too much time and energy on attaining wealth or fame? And had no time on other things.
Remember that it is essential to set goals with the complete end result in mind. Then set smaller sub-goals and start achieving them with passion. No worries, it’s all about doing things that makes you happy, and those people you hold dear around you.
Celebrate each victory with a loved one and don’t forget to show gratitude. Do not fall victim of your own passion for wealth or fame and forget the very essence why you even started. Make time for yourself and those around you. You can achieve all of the best things if you have the correct mindset with the end result in mind, and not get lost along the way.